Robert LangridgeEarthquake Geologist
- PhD, Geological Sciences
- MSc Hons, Earth Sciences
- BSc, Earth Sciences
Areas of expertise
- Geology: Active fault studies
- Geology: Paleoseismology
- Geology: tectonic geomorphology
- Geology: Structural and neotectonic analysis
- Geology: Fault segmentation
- Geology: Earthquake effects
- Financial: Project Management
- Geology: Graduate Student Advisor
See all publications
- Structure and kinematics of active faulting in the Hope-Kelly and Alpine Fault intersection zone, South Island, New Zealand, Tectonophysics 813: article 228928. DOI: 10.1016/j.tecto.2021.228928.
- Reconciling an early nineteenth-century rupture of the Alpine Fault at a section end, Toaroha River, Westland, New Zealand, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 111(1): p. 514-540. DOI: 10.1785/0120200116.
- Three-dimensional surface displacements during the 2016 MW 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake (New Zealand) from photogrammetry-derived point clouds, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 125(1): e2019JB018739. DOI: 10.1029/2019JB018739.
- Unusual kinematics of the Papatea fault (2016 Kaikoura earthquake) suggest anelastic rupture, Science Advances 5(10): article eaax5703. DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aax5703.
- Onshore to offshore ground-surface and seabed rupture of the JordanKekerenguNeedles fault network during the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake, New Zealand, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 108(3B): p. 1573-1595. DOI: 10.1785/0120170304.
- Coseismic rupture and preliminary slip estimates for the Papatea Fault and its role in the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikoura, New Zealand, earthquake, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 108(3B): p. 1596-1622. DOI: 10.1785/0120170336.
- Slip rate estimates and slip gradient for the Alpine Fault at Calf Paddock, Maruia River, New Zealand, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 60(2): p. 73-88. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2016.1275707.
- Extreme hydrothermal conditions at an active plate-bounding fault, Nature 546: p. 137-140. DOI: 10.1038/nature22355.
- The Mw7.8 Kaikoura earthquake : surface fault rupture and seismic hazard context, Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 50(2): p. 73-84.
- Complex multifault rupture during the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake, New Zealand, Science 356(6334): eaam7194. DOI: 10.1126/science.aam7194.
- Late Holocene rupture behavior and earthquake chronology on the Hope fault, New Zealand, Geological Society of America Bulletin 128(11/12): p. 1736-1761. DOI: 10.1130/B31199.1.
- A 2000 yr rupture history for the Alpine fault derived from Lake Ellery, South Island, New Zealand, Geological Society of America Bulletin 128(3/4): p. 627-643. DOI: 10.1130/B31300.1.
- The New Zealand Active Faults Database, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 59(1): p. 86-96. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2015.1112818.
- Liquefaction features produced by the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquake sequence in southwest Christchurch, New Zealand and preliminary assessment of paleoliquefaction features, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 106(4): p. 1747-1771. DOI: 10.1785/0120150223.
- Development of the Global Earthquake Model's neotectonic fault database, Natural hazards 79(1): p. 111-135. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-015-1831-6.
- Evolution and progressive geomorphic manifestation of surface faulting : a comparison of the Wairau and Awatere faults, South Island, New Zealand, Geology 43(11): p. 1019-1022. DOI: 10.1130/G37065.1.
- Maximum-likelihood recurrence parameters and conditional probability of a ground-rupturing earthquake on the southern Alpine Fault, South Island, New Zealand, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 105(1): p. 94-106. DOI: 10.1785/0120130259.
- A model of active faulting in New Zealand, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 57(1): p. 32-56. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2013.854256.
- Influence of topography and basement depth on surface rupture morphology revealed from LiDAR and field mapping, Hope Fault, New Zealand, Tectonophysics 630: p. 265-284. DOI: 10.1016/j.tecto.2014.05.032.
- Developing sub 5-m LiDAR DEMs for forested sections of the Alpine and Hope faults, South Island, New Zealand : implications for structural interpretations, Journal of Structural Geology 64: p. 53-66. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsg.2013.11.007.
- Timing of late Holocene paleoearthquakes on the Hurunui segment of the Hope fault : implications for plate boundary strain release through South Island, New Zealand, Geological Society of America Bulletin 125(5-6): p. 756-776. DOI: 10.1130/B30674.1.
- Preliminary paleoseismic results from the Pastores fault and its role in the seismic hazard of the Acambay graben, Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt, Mexico, Revista Mexicana de Ciencias Geologicas 30(3): p. 463-481.
- Scale dependence of oblique plate-boundary partitioning : New insights from LiDAR, central Alpine fault, New Zealand, Lithosphere 4(5): p. 435-448. DOI: 10.1130/L201.1.
- National seismic hazard model for New Zealand : 2010 update, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 102(4): p. 1514-1542. DOI: 10.1785/0120110170.
- Major earthquakes occur regularly on an isolated plate boundary fault, Science 336: p. 1690-1693. DOI: 10.1126/science.1218959.
- The Mw 6.2 Christchurch Earthquake of February 2011 : preliminary report, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 55(1): p. 67-90. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2011.641182.
- The kinematics of a transition from subduction to strike-slip : an example from the central New Zealand plate boundary, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 117(2): B02405. DOI: 10.1029/2011JB008640.
- Drilling reveals fluid control on architecture and rupture of the Alpine fault, New Zealand, Geology 40(12): p. 1143-1146. DOI: 10.1130/G33614.1.
- Five thousand years of surface ruptures on the Wellington Fault, New Zealand : implications for recurrence and fault segmentation, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 101(5): p. 2088-2107. DOI: 10.1785/0120100340.
- Re-evaluation of conditional probability of rupture of the Wellington-Hutt Valley segment of the Wellington Fault, Bulletin of the New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering 44(2): p. 77-86.
- Revised slip rates for the Alpine Fault at Inchbonnie : implications for plate boundary kinematics of South Island, New Zealand, Lithosphere 2(3): p. 139-152. DOI: 10.1130/L88.1.
- Palaeoseismology of the North Anatolian Fault near the Marmara Sea : implications for fault segmentation and seismic hazard, Palaeoseismology : historical and prehistorical records of earthquake ground effects for seismic hazard assessment : p. 31-54.
- Morphology and slip rates of the Hurunui section of the Hope Fault, South Island, New Zealand, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 48(1): p. 43-57.
- Defining the geometric segmentation and Holocene slip rate of the Wellington Fault, New Zealand : the Pahiatua section, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 48(4): p. 591-607. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2005.9515136.
- Paleoseismology and slip rate of the Conway Segment of the Hope Fault at Greenburn Stream, South Island, New Zealand, Annals of Geophysics 46(5): p. 1119-1139.
- The surface rupture and slip distribution of the 17 August 1999 Izmit earthquake (M 7.4), North Anatolian Fault, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 92(1): p. 43-60.
- Geometry, slip distribution, and kinematics of surface rupture on the Sakarya Fault Segment during the 17 August 1999 Izmit, Turkey, earthquake, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 92(1): p. 107-125.
- Paleoseismology of the 1912 Acambay earthquake and the Acambay-Tixmadeje fault, Trans-Mexican Volcanic Belt, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 105(B2): p. 3019-3037.