Henry GardLaboratory and Collection Technician
Geological Research Labs & Collections
Henry is a Laboratory and Collection Technician within the Geological Research Laboratories and Collections Team in the Laboratory and Collections Department. His role includes preparation of foraminifera, rock powder, mineral separation, grainsize and sediment core samples in GNS laboratories and curation of micropaleontology samples in the National Paleontology Collections held at GNS Science. He is a trained skipper, the manager of the Micropaleontology Laboratory, a trained transitional facility operator for an MPI approved facility at GNS Science and has been involved in sample collection on fieldwork, particularly collection of lake sediment core. He has research interests in Paleontology, specifically Cenozoic Mollusca of New Zealand and has been involved in projects across the GNS Science themes.
- BSc, Geology
- MSc, Geology
- BSc (1st class) Honors, Geology
Areas of expertise
- Paleontology: Paleoecology
- Paleontology: Molluscan paleontology
- Paleontology: Collection curation
- Paleontology: Foraminifera processing
- Paleontology: Laboratory Management
- Geology: Mineral Separation
See all publications
- A new species of fossil Scutus Montfort, 1810 from New Zealand (Mollusca: Gastropoda: Fissurellidae), Molluscan research 40(3): p. 223-230. DOI: 10.1080/13235818.2020.1741069.
- Otoliths reveal diverse fish communities in Late Oligocene estuarine to deep-water paleoenvironments in southern Zealandia, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 60(4): p. 433-464. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2017.1365734.
- A fossil sea turtle (Testudines: Pan-Cheloniidae) from the upper Oligocene Pomahaka Formation, New Zealand, Alcheringa 41(1): p. 134-140. DOI: 10.1080/03115518.2016.1206319.
- Geological setting, sedimentology and biota of the estuarine late Oligocene Pomahaka Formation, New Zealand, New Zealand Journal of Geology and Geophysics 59(2): p. 352-365. DOI: 10.1080/00288306.2016.1150862.