Christof MuellerComputational Geophysicist
AI and Advanced Analytics
Christof is a computational geophysicist with with an original training in physics. He has been with GNS Science since 2008. His career in our organisation started with developing advanced imaging and processing algorithms for seismic data, led him to work in tsunami research and he is now leading our Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Advanced Analytics team. His research interest still lies in Tsunami modeling, evacuation zoning and the effects of non-uniform slip on local tsunami impact. He is working in areas of data science, machine and deep learning (data generation, segmentation and surrogate modeling) with applications in tsunami, submarine and subaerial landslides. He is also interested in modern software pipelines and software engineering problems.
- PhD, Geophysics
- Diploma, Physics
Areas of expertise
- Information Technology: Application development
- Geophysics: Mathematical inversion techniques
- Geophysics: Seismic wave propagation
- Geophysics: Seismic tomography
- Geophysics: Data processing
- Geophysics: Technical Computer Applications
- Geophysics: Data management
- Geophysics: Depth Imaging of seismic data
- Geophysics: Marine Geophysics
- Technical: Software development
- Geophysics: Seismic Reflection
- Geophysics: Seismic Scattering
- Geophysics: Near-surface wave propogation effects
- Geophysics: Time series techniques for data analysis
- Information Technology: C programming
- Information Technology: Python
- Geophysics: Seismic imaging methods
- Geophysics: UHR Marine 3D Seismic Acquisition
- Geophysics: Tsunami hazard analysis
- Geophysics: Numerical Methods
- Geophysics: Tsunami Forecasting
- Business Development: Tsunami Early Warning
See all publications
- Regional tsunami forecasting : uncertainties due to non-uniform slip, Pure and Applied Geophysics 178(12): p. 5155-5173. DOI: 10.1007/s00024-021-02845-5.
- A scenario-based assessment of the tsunami hazard in Palermo, Northern Sicily, and the Southern Tyrrhenian Sea, Subaqueous mass movements and their consequences : advances in process understanding, monitoring and hazard assessments : p. 63-80. DOI: 10.1144/SP500-2019-181.
- Marine terraces reveal complex near-shore upper-plate faulting in the northern Hikurangi Margin, New Zealand, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America 110(2): p. 825-849. DOI: 10.1785/0120190208.
- The tsunami inundation hazard of the Maltese Islands (central Mediterranean Sea) : a submarine landslide and earthquake tsunami scenario study, Pure and Applied Geophysics 177(3): p. 1617-1638. DOI: 10.1007/s00024-019-02388-w.
- A pilot study on effectiveness of flow depth as sole intensity measure of tsunami damage potential, Valuing societal benefits of earthquake engineering excellence : NZSEE Annual Conference 2020, 22-24 April 2020, Wellington : paper 136.
- A consistent global approach for the morphometric characterization of subaqueous landslides, Subaqueous mass movements and their consequences : assessing geohazards, environmental implications and economic significance of subaqueous landslides : p. 455-477. DOI: 10.1144/SP477.15.
- The New Zealand Probabilistic Tsunami Hazard Model : development and implementation of a methodology for estimating tsunami hazard nationwide, Tsunamis : geology, hazards and risks : p. 199-217. DOI: 10.1144/SP456.6.
- Highly variable coastal deformation in the 2016 MW7.8 Kaikoura earthquake reflects rupture complexity along a transpressional plate boundary, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 474: p. 334-344. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2017.06.048.
- Complex multifault rupture during the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake, New Zealand, Science 356(6334): eaam7194. DOI: 10.1126/science.aam7194.
- Probabilistic Tsunami Hazard Analysis (PTHA) : multiple sources and global applications, Reviews of geophysics 55: p. 1158-1198. DOI: 10.1002/2017RG000579.
- Finding the concealed section of the Whakatane Fault in the Whakatane Township with a shear wave land streamer system : a seismic surveying report DOI: 10.21420/G2QP41.
- Effects of rupture complexity on local tsunami inundation : implications for probabilistic tsunami hazard assessment by example, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 120(1): p. 488-502. DOI: 10.1002/2014JB011301.
- Tsunami inundation in Napier, New Zealand, due to local earthquake sources, Natural hazards 70(1): p. 415-445. DOI: 10.1007/s11069-013-0820-x.
- High-resolution 3D marine seismic investigation of Hedeby Harbour, Germany, International journal of nautical archaeology 42(2): p. 326-336. DOI: 10.1111/1095-9270.12011.
- 3D diffraction and mode-converted scattering signatures of base metal deposits, Bathurst Mining Camp, Canada, First break 28(12): p. 41-45.
- Ultra-high-resolution marine 2D-3D seismic investigation of the Liman Tepe/Karantina Island archaeological site (Urla/Turkey), Journal of applied geophysics 68(1): p. 124-134. DOI: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2008.10.015.
- FINOSEIS : a new approach to offshore-building foundation soil analysis using high resolution reflection seismic and Scholte-wave dispersion analysis, Journal of applied geophysics 68(1): p. 117-123. DOI: 10.1016/j.jappgeo.2008.11.003.
- Shear waves in near surface 3D media-SH-wavefield separation, refraction time migration and tomography, Journal of applied geophysics 68(1): p. 104-116.
- Rayleigh-to-shear wave conversion at the tunnel face : from 3D-FD modeling to ahead-of-drill exploration, Geophysics 72(6): p. T67-T79.
- Imaging of orebodies with vertical seismic profiling data, Perspectives in modern seismology : p. 127-143.
- The marine VHR 2.5-D seismic brute stack cube as a feasible tool for low budget investigation and research, Marine geophysical researches 26(2-4): p. 197-206.
- Downhole seismic imaging of a massive sulfide orebody with mode-converted waves, Halfmile Lake, New Brunswick, Canada, Geophysics 69(2): p. 318-329.
- Elastic wave scattering from massive sulfide orebodies : on the role of composition and shape, Hardrock seismic exploration : p. 86-102.
- Towards high-resolution 3D marine seismic surveying using boomer sources, Geophysical prospecting 50(5): p. 517-526.
- A new approach to downhole seismic imaging, Halfmile Lake, New Brunswick, Current research / Geological Survey of Canada 2002-D4: 9 p..