Ted BertrandMagnetotelluric (MT) Team Leader
Ted is a Senior Magnetotelluric (MT) Scientist and leads the Thermal Processes Project in the Te Riu-a-Māui Zealandia Programme, researching how heat, magma and metals are transferred within the crust. His primary interests are using MT to investigate geothermal, volcanic and tectonic processes in the Taupo Volcanic Zone. Over the past decade, this research has imaged connections between geothermal fields and their underlying magmatic roots, revealing pathways of heat transfer through the crust. Ted’s work has contributed to both exploration of geothermal resources in NZ and to their sustainable management. He also contributes MT expertise to commercial geothermal projects in NZ and overseas. Ted enjoys fieldwork and has undertaken MT measurements in Canada, USA, Taiwan, New Zealand, Japan, and Antarctica.
- MSc, Earth Sciences
- BSc, Physics
- PhD, Geophysics
Areas of expertise
- Geology: Crustal tectonics
- Geophysics: Electromagnectic Methods
- Geophysics: Geothermal exploration
See all publications
- Inferring the magmatic roots of volcano-geothermal systems in the Rotorua Caldera and Okataina Volcanic Centre from magnetotelluric models, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 431: article 107645. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2022.107645.
- Topography as a major influence on geothermal circulation in the Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand, Geophysical Research Letters 48(8): e2020GL092248. DOI: 10.1029/2020GL092248.
- Uplift of the central Transantarctic Mountains, Nature Communications 8(1): article no. 1588. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-01577-2.
- Mapping subduction interface coupling using magnetotellurics; Hikurangi Margin, New Zealand, Geophysical Research Letters 44(18): p. 9261-9266. DOI: 10.1002/2017GL074641.
- Ohaaki geothermal system : refinement of a conceptual reservoir model, Taupo Volcanic Zone geothermal systems, New Zealand: Exploration, science and development : p. 311-324. DOI: 10.1016/j.geothermics.2015.09.002.
- Using array MT data to image the crustal resistivity structure of the southeastern Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 305: p. 63-75. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2015.09.020.
- Magnetotelluric imaging of the Ohaaki geothermal system, New Zealand : implications for locating basement permeability, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 268(1): p. 36-45. DOI: 10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2013.10.010.
- Magnetotelluric imaging of upper-crustal convection plumes beneath the Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand, Geophysical Research Letters 39(2): L02304. DOI: 10.1029/2011GL050177.
- Magnetotelluric imaging beneath the Taiwan orogen : an arc-continent collision, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 117: B01402. DOI: 10.1029/2011JB008688.
- Magnetotelluric evidence for thick-skinned tectonics in central Taiwan, Geology 37(8): p. 711-714. DOI: 10.1130/G25755A.1.
- Pumping-induced vadose zone drainage and storage in an unconfined aquifer : a comparison of analytical model predictions and field measurements, Journal of Hydrology 335(1/2): p. 207-218.