Ian HamlingInSAR Scientist
Areas of expertise
- Geophysics: Geodetic data analysis
- Geophysics: Crustal deformation and neotectonics
- Geophysics: Earthquake analysis
- Geophysics: Modelling
- Geophysics: Geodynamics
- Geophysics: Volcano Geophysics
- Geophysics: Volcano Geodesy
- Geophysics: Remote sensing
See all publications
- Complex multifault rupture during the 2016 Mw 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake, New Zealand, Science 356(6334): eaam7194. DOI: 10.1126/science.aam7194.
- Slip-weakening distance and energy budget inferred from near-fault ground deformation during the 2016 Mw7.8 Kaikoura earthquake, Geophysical Research Letters 44(10): p. 4765-4773. DOI: 10.1002/2017GL073681.
- A multidisciplinary study of the final episode of the Manda Hararo dyke sequence, Ethiopia, and implications for trends in volcanism during the rifting cycle, Magmatic rifting and active volcanism : p. 149-163. DOI: 10.1144/SP420.6.
- The ups and downs of the TVZ : geodetic observations of deformation around the Taupo Volcanic Zone, New Zealand, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 120(6): p. 4667-4679. DOI: 10.1002/2015JB012125.
- Silent triggering : aseismic crustal faulting induced by a subduction slow slip event, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 421: p. 13-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2015.03.046.
- InSAR imaging of displacement on flexural-slip faults triggered by the 2013 Mw 6.6 Lake Grassmere earthquake, central New Zealand, Geophysical Research Letters 42(3): p. 781-788. DOI: 10.1002/2014GL062767.
- InSAR observations of post-rifting deformation around the Dabbahu rift segment, Afar, Ethiopia, Geophysical Journal International 197(1): p. 33-49. DOI: 10.1093/gji/ggu003.
- Crustal deformation and stress transfer during a propagating earthquake sequence : the 2013 Cook Strait sequence, Central New Zealand, Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 119(7): p. 6080-6092. DOI: 10.1002/2014JB011084.
- Quake clamps down on slow slip, Geophysical Research Letters 41(24): p. 8840-8846. DOI: 10.1002/2014GL062367.
- Geophysical constraints on the dynamics of spreading centres from rifting episodes on land, Nature geoscience 5(4): p. 242-250. DOI: 10.1038/ngeo1428.
- Recent rift-related volcanism in Afar, Ethiopia, Earth and Planetary Science Letters 292(3/4): p. 409-418. DOI: 10.1016/j.epsl.2010.02.010.
- Length and timescales of rift faulting and magma intrusion : the Afar rifting cycle from 2005 to present, Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 38: p. 439-466. DOI: 10.1146/annurev-earth-040809-152333.
- Stress transfer between thirteen successive dyke intrusions in Ethiopia, Nature geoscience 3: p. 713-717. DOI: 10.1038/ngeo967.
- Post-rifting relaxation in the Afar region, Ethiopia, Geophysical Research Letters 36(21): L21308. DOI: 10.1029/2009GL040502.
- Geodetic observations of the ongoing Dabbahu rifting episode : new dyke intrusions in 2006 and 2007, Geophysical Journal International 178(2): p. 989-1003. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-246X.2009.04163.x.
- Evidence for focused magmatic accretion at segment centers from lateral dike injections captured beneath the Red Sea rift in Afar, Geology 37(1): p. 59-62. DOI: 10.1130/G25147A.1.