GNS Science provides online specialist resources for paleontology and stratigraphy.
Nationally significant paleontology databases and collections:
- Fossil Record File Database: fossil localities in New Zealand and nearby regions including South Pacific Islands and the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.
- National Paleontology Collection and Database: Fossil collections from New Zealand and nearby regions, including Antarctica.
- Micropaleontology Reference Centre: A reference collection of representative micropaleontology samples from sediment cores collected by the Integrated Ocean Discovery Program and its predecessor programs (DSDP and ODP).
Online specialist resources for paleontology and stratigraphy:
- New Zealand's Geological Timescale: the first fully integrated, comprehensive geological timescale for New Zealand, from Cambrian to Holocene.
- New Zealand Stratigraphic Lexicon: a bibliographic database of New Zealand rock formations and links to further information.
- New Zealand Fossil Spores and Pollen Catalogue: a web-based catalogue of published records of fossil spore and pollen species from the New Zealand region.
- Cenozoic Mollusca of New Zealand: revised descriptions of nearly 600 Cenozoic mollusca, from "Cenozoic Mollusca of New Zealand" by Beu & Maxwell (1990). The latter publication is also available as a downloadable PDF file.
- Paleogeographic Maps: reconstructions of the New Zealand landmass and offshore sedimentary basins from the Cretaceous to present day.